This Christmas I wanted to offer gifts that the receivers would actually enjoy. Instead of giving meaningless presents with little use, I wanted to make something special and I thought this homemade pancake mix would be perfect to share with our friends and family.
I got this recipe from Nigella’s website a while ago and we’ve been using it in our house ever since. It’s such a time saver and it makes for delicious and easy breakfasts on lazy weekends.
I bought some inexpensive jars from our local dollar store, washed and dried them through.
Then I mixed all the ingredients and filled the jars with the pancake mix (recipe at the end of this post).
I also designed some cute labels to go with them, along with the cooking instructions. You can use the 2″ circles to decorate the lid and attach the other labels with twine or ribbon around the jar.
How cute are these?
I’ve made this set of labels available as a Freebie for you to download. Scroll down for the download link at the bottom of this page.
Home Made Instant Pancake Mix, by Nigella
for the pancake mix
– 600 grams plain flour
– 3 tablespoons baking powder
– 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 40 grams caster sugar (or vanilla sugar)
for the batter – to each 150g / 1 cup of pancake mix, add and whisk together:
– 1 large egg
– 250 ml semi skimmed milk (or full fat)
– 1 tablespoon melted butter
For the Pancake mix: Mix all the ingredients together and store in a jar.
When ready to make the pancakes, proceed as follows:
1. Heat a flat griddle or pan with no oil.
2. Spoon drops of 1½-2 tablespoons of batter onto the hot griddle or into the pan
3. When bubbles appear on the surface of the little pancakes, flip them over to make them golden brown on both sides. A minute or so a side should do it.
Should make about 15 pancakes, each about 8cm in diameter.
* Please note our Freebies are for personal, non-commercial use only.